Microsoft Outlook is a widely used email service provider among the users. There could be various reasons to convert OST to PST file format. The Outlook mailbox items are generally saved in OST (Offline Storage Table) file format when users are working in offline mode in MS Outlook. Once the connection with the Exchange server is re-established, the changes made by the user will get updated. The OST files cannot access the user’s important mailbox information when the Exchange server is not available. Outlook stores all its mailbox items in PST (Personal Storage Table) format while working in online mode. Users cannot directly access OST mailbox data in Outlook, they need to export OST to PST file format. So, here we will provide the recommended methods to import OST into Outlook.
Before stepping ahead, let’s first understand the need behind OST to PST conversion.
Why is there a Need to Convert OST to PST Online?
There can be various reasons to export OST to PST file format. Some of the reasons are mentioned below.
- Accidental deletion of the Exchange server account.
- Exchange server crashed or failed.
- Backup Exchange Mailboxes.
- Maintenance of the Exchange Server.
These are some common reasons to import OST into Outlook. Now let’s move ahead to migrate Outlook OST to PST manually.
Manual Approaches to Convert OST to PST
Here we have provided three processes that users can follow to export OST to PST file format. These approaches can be somewhat more time-consuming and have several limitations. So it is suggested to create a copy of the original data before starting the process of conversion manually.
Method 1: Import/ Export Method
- Launch Microsoft Outlook program.
- Go to the File tab.
- Select the Import/Export option.
- Click on Export to a file
- Hit the Next button
- Now select Personal file folder (.pst)
- Click on the Next button.
- Go to the parent root and select Include Subfolders option.
- Browse to define the location to the resultant file.
Method 2: Drag and Drop
In this step, users need to create a new PST folder and then copy all OST data and paste them to the newly created PST folder.
- Open Microsoft Outlook application.
- Create a new PST folder in Outlook.
- Select all OST files you want to export and copy them. Then simply paste the copied items in the new PST folder.
Method 3: Use Outlook Archive Feature
The emails will automatically get saved in PST file format once the user enables the archiving feature in Outlook. Follow the given steps to enable archiving features in Outlook.
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- Go to the File section.
- Click on the Options.
- Now, Go to the advanced section.
- Click on Auto Archive settings…
- Browse to define the location to save the archived file.
- Click on the OK button.
- More time-consuming and tedious approach of conversion.
- Do not support the conversion of the corrupt OST files.
- Technical knowledge is required.
- Risk of data loss.
Automated Solution to Convert OST to PST Online
As we have seen above, there are several limitations with using the manual approach of OST to PST conversion. So as an alternate, users can use the best OST to PST converter available in the market. DRS OST to PST converter tool can easily export multiple OST files to PST, EML, MBOX, HTML, MSG, PDF, Gmail, Office 365, etc. It allows open corrupt OST files and converts them to PST. There are no file size restrictions and there is no risk of data loss. Any technical or even non technical user can use the utility for migration without any trouble. The free demo version of the tool is also available that allows to export initial 25 emails per folder for free.
Above in this blog, we have discussed some methods to convert OST to PST online. We have provided both manual as well as automated solution. However, with manual process of conversion there are some limitations and severe risk of data loss. So, it is suggested to use the professional automated method for a quick and safe conversion.